Technical documentation usually comprises
- installation, maintenance and operation instructions for various equipment, from complex production machinery and systems to common household devices
- technical descriptions and specifications
- drawings and diagrams
- technical standards and regulations
- technical certificates, licences, patents
- design and construction documentation
Technical translation covers the translation of many kinds of specialized texts and requires a high level of subject knowledge and mastery of the relevant terminology and writing conventions. Technical translation requires a solid knowledge base of technological skills, particularly if the translator chooses to utilize computer-assisted translation (CAT) or machine translation (MT). Though some technical translators complete all translation without the use of CAT or MT, this is often with pieces that require more creativity in the document. Documents dealing with mechanics or engineering that contain frequently translated phrases and concepts are often translated using CAT tool to ensure fast turnaround and consistent terminology.